Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Milk, eggs, cheese...and don't forget the Valentines

Today Raegan and I had our first excursion to the grocery store in the Baby Bjorn. Previously, I had taken my larger than life infant carrier into the store and placed it in the cart. (Pause here to acknowledge all my mother friends who gossiped silently behind my back as I purchased the largest, most bulky infant carrier known to man). Today we needed more items than I could carefully pack around the car seat, so we said goodbye to the Britax and off we ventured in the Bjorn.

Between the one handed shopping, enough squats to burn off 1 lb of baby weight, and 13 little old ladies commenting on how beautiful you are, it took over an hour to get through our list. And thank you to the nice high school boy who pushed the cart to the car and loaded in all our bags so I could put you back in your seat.

There was one thing I purchased that wasn't on the list. Today I bought you Valentines. I thought about how nice it would be to send them to your friends. I should probably use quotation marks when I write "friends" because you are only 4 months old. But none-the-less, I bought Valentines to bring to DayCare and to mail out to your "friends".

As I unpacked the grocery bags at home, your Dad opened the bag with the Valentines and said, "huh... Valentines...good call...now that's why you're the mommy". It made me smile that he acknowledged that mommies remember the small things.

A friend of mine recently mentioned that mommy's are responsible for making memories. I've thought about that a lot lately. It's a job that comes with a huge amount of responsibility. Just as important as remembering the doctor's appointments, the last time you ate, and if you have clean undershirts. So while you are too young at 4 months old to remember that you gave out Dr. Suess Valentines, your Daddy and I will remember. So we'll start with making our own memories, get a little practice, and shortly we'll be great at it. And when you are old enough to look back and remember, you'll have a lifetime of special memories.

So I guess I'm okay with the fact that it's the mommy's job to remember things like Valentines. It's a very special gift. Oh... and next Monday is Pajama Day at DayCare.

1 comment:

Marisa said...

so sweet...love your posts to Raegan