Sunday, April 25, 2010

Got Milk?

Why yes I do. And a lot of it.


So Raegan and I decided to have a little sharing lesson. To share her milk with other babies who are sick, born to soon, or have allergies to formula.

On Monday, I packed up 2 boxes of milk and shipped it to the Indiana Mother's Milk Bank.

This not for profit human milk bank is one of only 10 in the United States. IMMilkBank helps premature and sick infants by connecting those in need of human milk with screened donor mothers. The milk bank receives human milk from donors, then pasteurizes, freezes and distributes it.

The process was fairly simple. I had a few forms signed by our doctors, had my blood drawn for screening, and was approved as a donor.

So if you are breastfeeding or know someone who is, share this information and consider becoming a milk donor. More information is available through the Human Milk Banking Association of North America.


3 comments:

Marisa said...

This is so wonderful....as we spoke in February, I wanted to do so. Well, my large frozen supply seems to be taking a hit lately, so I'm not sure that I'll be able to follow in your footsteps. We'll see what the next few months brings :)
LOVE THIS!

Siri said...

You're my hero!

Trish said...

Erin,
Awesome! I was just talking about milk banks w/ my midwife a few weeks ago. When Autumn shared your story w/ me and told me about your bountiful supply, I could only smile. Way to go! I, very much enjoyed reading this post. Again, awesome!