Sunday, September 11, 2011

9.11.11


I get strange looks when I tell people her birthday is September 11. At the doctor's office, preschool registration, checking out with her pink and purple birthday party supplies. They look at you with an apologetic face, often then saying nothing as they realize it was beyond your control. Recently when I informed a stranger that her birthday was 9/11, their response was "oh, that's too bad".

Is it?

I'll admit, when I found out I was pregnant and due on Sept 12, I remember thinking "please don't let her be born on September 11."  By the end of 40 weeks, I said to her "I love you so much, just come out on any day you want, so I can meet you". We went to the hospital the night of September 10th and it never crossed my mind what day it was. She was born at 08:58 am on September 11.   She was beautiful. We never thought about turning on a TV, never noticed a facebook post, or heard reference to the September 11, 2001 attacks.  To us, that day was Her day.  Our Day.  Full of love.

In this country you are very much identified by your date of birth.
At 16 she'll go to the DMV on September 11 and pass her driver's test.
At 18 on September 11 she'll enter her senior year of high school as an adult.
At 21 she'll go out with her college friends on September 11 to toast her adulthood.
All of them, momentous occasions that are reason to celebrate.


 I will help her celebrate.

10 years ago our Nation was changed forever.
 2 years ago my life was changed forever.

 For the better.

Happy Birthday Beautiful Girl.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Marisa said...

well big surprise...I'm a blubbering fool reading this post! I absolutely LOVE your point of view---she is such a beautiful girl and HER day will always be special because of you and Kevin making it HER day :)

Siri said...

Perfect post, you write so well.

Jennifer Hock said...

I'm crying too! Beautiful post!